Tuesday, November 20, 2007

CSLA Conference-Friday

I forgot to mention yesterday that at the exhibit hall the poster contest winners were on display. I am sorry to say that none of our poster were awarded a prize, but I was happy to see that the quality of the winners was so high.

The day began at 8 a.m. with a general session. This is where the new officers and the conference sponsors are introduced. The guest speaker, Paul Janeczko, a well known children's poet, spoke about the importance of getting children excited about reading. After an exclusive exhibit time (That means that we didn't have to skip something else to visit the exhibit hall.), The concurrent sessions began. There were many different sessions to choose from in each time slot. For session A, I chose the California Young Reader Medal 2007-8 Overview, because those are the books we read to the kindergarteners in the spring and because I would like to get the high school students reading the books on their level. Next, I selected a session on new ideas for library orientation, but it was full, so I ended up in a session titled "Web 2.0 Tools--Podcasts, Blogs, RSS, Wikis, and More!" The presenter was in my master's class and always has useful ideas. The last session was "Library Website 2.0: Developing Interactive Websites for Teens"--more good ideas to play with. No conference would be complete without food. I had lunch at a local restaurant with one of my school library mentors: she was the person who first got me started about getting my library media credential. The day ended with the President's Dessert Reception. The food was good and it was a good opportunity to network with other school librarians.

p.s. Remember the raffles? I won the last Harry Potter audibook. a 17 CD set.

No comments: