Monday, August 6, 2007

Week 6, Thing 14 part 1

A Technorati search is similar to a search of the OPAC in the fact that choice of search mode effects the results. It is also like a Google search, because you can use advanced search to specify how you want the search terms to relate to each other and where you want to search. Searching on keywords for School Library Learning 2.o (no quotes) produced 1752 hits (almost 500 more than on Saturday—does this mean that a lot of us are on week 6 and claiming our blogs?). Searching for the same phrase in quotes netted 187 hits, most recognizable as posts to our CSLA summer learning opportunity. A search of tags netted 1311 blog hits, as well as visual media hits. Searching the blog directory produced only 11 hits without the quotes and 8 with them. This search seemed to select entire blogs, not just one post were somehow labeled as school library learning 2.0. I’m not sure about that because looking at the sites, I couldn’t find a common place with that label. After the search I looked at the favorites, I looked at the favorites. What I discovered is that I seem to be out of the loop when it comes to popular culture. I had no clue who/what 9 of the 15 top searches were. I’m also not sure that 2 weeks from now they will be terribly important. Maybe Web 2.0 is where everyone will get their 15 minutes of fame.

No comments: